“In an uprising, there is no such thing as a perfect martyr, nor is there a perfect approach to unrest, but the art generated during this time should strive to reflect the energy of the moment.”Shamira Ibrahim for NPR
- Garri and Peanuts where I discuss the Francophonie and the sometimes-transient definition of the concept of “home” as a first-generation Black immigrant
- The Grapevine where I joined a discussion on the concept of culture vultures in predominantly Black spaces
- Appearances on Buzzfeed’s AM2DM to discuss the ongoing lawsuit between Fortnite/Epic Games and several Black rappers and entertainers and the legacy of intellectual property law not protecting Black cultural production, as well as the Top Scripted Series of the Decade
- The VICE Guide To Right Now Podcast where I discuss Influencer Culture
- I was a panelist at the Film, Music, Arts, and Culture (FMAC) Conference at the 2019 Miami Jazz In the Gardens Music Fest discussing creative works and intellectual property.
- I was a panelist for The Ebony Vanguard at the John Henrik Clarke House discussing “The Take Over: Young Black Women Leading Change”
- I appeared on the In The Thick podcast alongside Margari Hill on an episode discussing Black Muslim identity in the US titled “Hypervisible and Invisible.”
- I appeared on an episode of Culture Show Marlie, discussing the Grammys, racist incidents at Syracuse University, and more.
- I appeared on an episode of The Takeaway with New York Times technology reporter Taylor Lorenz discussing the history of Black creators not getting credited or compensated for their unique works.
- Discussed Ramy and Muslim representation on See Something Say Something
My Works Have Been Quoted:
- In Raconteur – Are brands exploiting the modest fashion trend?
- In The Nation – “‘Ramy’ Presents a Nuanced Slice of Life for Millennial Muslims”
- In The Journal of Transformative Works and Cultures – Enclaving and cultural resonance in Black Game of Thrones fandom
- In Refinery29 – Before Kim Kardashian, Tiffany Pollard Ruled Reality TV
- In Vice – ‘I Love New York’ Will Never Die; ‘Big Little Lies’ Failed to Recreate the Magic of Its First Season
- In The Independent – discussing Sarah Silverman and her inability to understand cancel culture
- In Teen Vogue where I contributed my thoughts on Minhal Baig’s feature film Hala
- In BET where I contributed my words in examination of Jay-Z’s legacy at his 50th birthday
- I music feature packages where I contributed my words to NPR and Vulture
- Had my work quoted in a feature in The Guardian on TV’s portrayal’s of Muslims